First Time Visitor Info
GENERAL INFORMATION YOU NEED TO BE AWARE OF BEFORE TRAVELING TO OUR LITTLE TOWN
Before you make your first trip to join us for our annual poker run you need to know the following information.
- If using GPS do not go by way of the community of Holly River State Park (this is a dirt road and not the best way to get to Pickens. You might want to print directions also listed on this website.
- It is 1 hr to the closest hotel, restaurant chains, and department/grocery stores over curvy and mountainous roads
- There is no cell service in Pickens although some cell customers can sometimes find certain spots to pick up enough signal to make a call but this is few and far between
- We have 1 convenience store which only carries the necessities and only has a limited supply of gasoline (1 pump). Open Mon-Sat 8am-5pm & Sun 1pm-5pm only.
- Camping during the poker run is primitive style (no water & electricity hookup available, no sewer waste disposal and no shower facility, however porta potties will be available). Most camp sites are all level. There is no water and dumping stations for travel trailers.
- Weather can be unpredictable in this area. For example, when it is raining just 30 minutes away, it may be snowing here. Please bring warm clothing even if weather is calling for warm temperatures.
- Town consists of 1 convenience store, post office, 3 churches, approximately 50 residence (both in town and just on outskirts of Pickens), historical buildings (Pickens Museum, Opera house (aka theater), train depot, old store currently not in use, American Legion hall, etc.), Pickens School grades K-12, and fire department.
- No stop signs or traffic lights
- Should an emergency arise requiring medical attention, it is 1 hr to the closest hospital
- The closest restaurant is only 5 miles away in the little village of Helvetia. This is Swiss restaurant with a menu of delicious German meals and they do not accept credit / debit cards
- THERE ARE NO ATM MACHINES IN THE AREA